Location: Shanghai, China
Mission: A broad range of contemporary art is at the very heart of the Swatch Art Peace Hotel. Its Artist Residency welcomes known and unknown artists from around the world, including China, to live and work in artist studios on the hotel premises for periods of three up to six months in one of the 18 studios. They meet to exchange ideas, prepare and enjoy meals together, talk about their work and life in Shanghai, plan new projects and share their visions.
The artists are accommodated in the Hotel at the invitation of Swatch Group, which for its part asks only that they leave a “trace” of their visit. Ideally, this trace should be representative of the artist’s experience at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel. However, it is up to each artist to determine just what constitutes “a trace”, and what form it should take. Artists will be given an opportunity to have their “trace” presented in the Virtual Museum of the Swatch Art Peace Hotel’s website.
The Swatch Art Peace Hotel Artist Residency aims to contribute in a significant manner to the cultural and artistic development of Shanghai. Artists will benefit from their exposure to an international public at the most prestigious location in Shanghai, and it is hoped the new art hotel and artist residency will serve as an open door to the world, a permanent invitation to engage in cultural exchange.
Cost: The Swatch Art Peace Hotel Guest Artist Program set up by Swatch Group is pleased to cover the following expenses:
– Round trip airline ticket to Shanghai
– Pick-up service in Shanghai on day of arrival and departure will also be provided.
– Individual accommodation at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel.
– Housekeeping service
– Working space in modern, furnished studios located on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Swatch Art Peace Hotel in Shanghai.
– Visa application, and assistance in obtaining visas
Please note that there is no stipend. Guest artists should be able to provide for their personal and professional needs for the duration of their stay.
The Swatch Art Peace Hotel Guest Artist Program does not include the following:
– Coverage of costs charged by airline companies for excess baggage.
– Costs related to the removal and transport of artwork and material from the Swatch Art Peace Hotel or costs for storage of artwork and material awaiting removal.
– Any flight or travel costs other than the round trip flight or train ticket to and from Shanghai provided initially.
– Additional hotel services
– Drinks and meals other than breakfast.
– Phone call expenses.
– Material for artists’ work.
– Other personal and professional expenses.
Application Fee: 30 CHF or 33 USD Donation to Doctors Without Borders (Médicins Sans Frontieres)
Number of Artists: Up to 18 artists at a time
Accommodations: Shanghai is one of the world’s most exciting places for contemporary art and the artists who create it. Ateliers, theaters, galleries and museums light up, transforming the city into an avant-garde experiment in imagining the future.
Artists are provided with individual accommodation and working space in modern, furnished studios located on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Swatch Art Peace Hotel in Shanghai. The studios are assigned according to need and availability for a period ranging from three to six months.
Other facilities and services:
– Each artist is assigned a numbered cupboard and fridge space in the 3rd floor kitchen area which is equipped with induction plates, kitchenware and utensils at the artists’ disposal.
– A lounge and coffee corner with tea and coffee making facilities are also at their disposal.
– Artists have access to a library, a meeting room and several common workshops. High speed / wireless Internet access is provided. A Mac, PC and printer / copier are also available.
– The studios are cleaned twice a week by the Swatch Art Peace Hotel housekeeping staff.
– A daily European breakfast is served from 7.00 to 11.00 a.m. in the common area on the 3rd floor.
– Each artist will receive a set of visiting cards bearing his / her name and the Swatch Art Peace Hotel address and telephone number.
– The Swatch Art Peace Hotel team will assist artists by providing local information and contact details.
– The Swatch Art Peace Hotel’s Swissnex contacts will assist artists in finding the material required for their work. Artists will also be provided with support enabling them to establish and develop contacts with Shanghai’s art scene.
The Artist Residency hosts invited artists only; no family members, friends, partners or visiting artists.
Length of Stay: Up to 3 to 6 Months
Demographic: International and National emerging to established artists
Medium: Different forms of art are welcome to explore the contemporary arts in China’s most vibrant city: photography, music, film making, writing, dancing, painting and conceptual art.
Benefits: A Library, a meeting room, several common workshops, The studios are cleaned twice a week by the Swatch Art Peace Hotel housekeeping staff, a daily European breakfast is served from 7.00 to 11.00 a.m., a set of visiting cards bearing his / her name and the Swatch Art Peace Hotel address and telephone number, individual accommodation and working space in modern, furnished studios, round trip airline ticket to Shanghai, pick-up service in Shanghai on day of arrival and departure will also be provided, individual accommodation at the Swatch Art Peace Hotel, housekeeping service, breakfast, Working space in modern, furnished studios located on the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Swatch Art Peace Hotel in Shanghai, visa application, and assistance in obtaining visas
Deadline: There is no application deadline