Deadline: March 18, 2017
Location: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Cost: Tuition for the program for 2017-18 is $9500* for the 9 month cycle. We are happy to work with accepted candidates on payment plans and installments.
In addition, please let us know if you will be seeking finantial aid from third party grants, through the application process.
*Please note that residents are responsible for their own travel fees, housing and art supplies
Application Fee: $ 20.00
Demographic & Medium: Artists and designers working in textile and fiber mediums, ages 21+. We encourage international applicants, however can only accept applicants that do not require special visas at this time. All applicants must have basic English language skills.
The selection process is led by a committee of Textile Arts Center’s staff, as well as professionals working in different fields of textile arts. Selection criteria include:
* Quality of work
* Clear plan on work to be created during time of residence
* Desire to work within a strong community
Selected applicants will be asked to come in for an interview. In particular, artists working with Fiber Arts; Textiles; Soft Sculpture; Mix Media.
Number of Artists: Up to 6 artists at a time
Accommodations: Studio Space:
– 24/7 access to personal 8’ x 8’, well-lit space. Each space has 3 full walls, including shelving, as well as a “tack” wall.
– 24/7 access to TAC studio and equipment (includes floor looms; home and industrial sewing machines; knitting machines; drying rack; utility sink; dye lab for natural and synthetic dyes; washer/dryer; steamer; screen printing facilities which include 3 yardage tables, large exposure unit and washout booth).
No housing provided.
Length of Stay: 9 months, from October 2017 to June 2018
- Technical classes in such techniques as weaving, spinning, machine knitting, and surface design
- Seminars in textile history, modern craft theory, and professional development (grant writing, branding, art law, material sourcing, photography)
- Critiques and Mentorship with professional designers and fiber artists
- Monthly Open Studios
- Studio Visits + Field-Trips
- Culminating group exhibition
- Exposure through TAC marketing and social media
- $600 worth of free classes at Textile Arts Center, followed by 30% off all additional classes taken
Mission & History: Textile Arts Center’s Artist in Residence (TAC AIR) program equips emerging artists and designers with resources and skills to better articulate their practices and contribute to their communities. Situated at the intersection of a studio residency and an academic program, TAC AIR combines studio access with a rigorous interdisciplinary curriculum, regular critical dialogue and mentorship. The residency culminates in a group exhibition which showcases and promotes residents’ work at both a regional and national level through additional catalogue materials.
Since 2010, AIR has graduated over fifty artists and designers whose work is now galvanizing the fashion, fine arts, and design industries. Our alumni are involved in a broad range of arts activities, including arts education, women’s international development, social activism, fashion and tech entrepreneurship, fine arts, regional makers movements and local community development initiatives.
The Textile Arts Center is located in Brooklyn, NY.